Saturday, October 3, 2009

Venice Window

Title: Venice Window
Size: 9" x 12"
Medium: oil on gallery wrapped canvas

Check out my eBay auction tonight to purchase


PAINTING:
This small original is a close up of one of my favorite Venice details...the charming, shuttered, flower-filled windows. I have an umber underpainting to tone the canvas and then used foundation white and ocher colors for depth and texture. I slather it on like a mason for the stucco finish and carve away at it like a sculpture to get the brick and iron work detail. I use a bit of brush on the window with a painterly touch. These little paintings take me just as long to paint as the larger ones but they are a joy to paint.

INSPIRATION:
On my recent trip to Italy, I took hundreds of photos of windows. I love windows anyway but the Venice windows are special.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...