Thursday, July 30, 2009

Bold Sunflowers


Title: Bold Sunflowers
Size: 20 x 24
Medium: Oil on gallery wrapped canvas
Contact me for purchase or follow on auction.
THE PAINTING:
This is one my favorite Sunflower paintings to date and it took over a week to complete. I applied multiple layers with an underpainting thinned with turp so it would quickly dry in dark colors, even a deep prussian blue and then laid lights on the darks using a palette knife. When it was dry, I came back and glazed on more layers of oil color with a brush to create a luminous look.
THE INSPIRATION:
Summer is here in full force and it is hot! These bright bold colors just go with summer sun and I am always in the mood to paint a bunch of Sunflowers when it's hot. Sometimes feathery with a brush but usually thick with a knife, they always make me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...