Thursday, November 5, 2009

High Speed Sailing


Title: High Speed Sailing
Size: 16 x 20
Medium: Oil on gallery wrapped canvas
see eBay auction tonight for purchase
PAINTING:
This painting was a blast to paint and I love how it turned out. Painting large waves is fun with a palette knife using lots of deep color drags and I generated texture with a light touch. I used all my favorite transparent colors of blues and greens so there is a lot of variation in luminous color. I added a bit of real gold leaf which will be varnished in when dry, for a bit of detail in the foamy, sun reflective waves.
INSPIRATION:
I used to sail when I was younger. I grew up on Lake Tahoe and have many friends who sail and it is an amazing sport. They have great races and although I don't do it anymore, I admire those who do, and love to paint it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...