Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Art of Fishing

Title: The Art of Fishing
Size: 20" x 24"
Medium: Oil on gallery wrapped canvas

See tonights eBay auction for purchase.

PAINTING:
I began this composition slowly from some old photos I took of my Uncle Fishing along the Truckee River near our house in Floriston, a small town in California where I grew up. I drew with a brush and cobalt blue, then adding dark purples and winsor greens for shadowed areas. When the paint is thinned it dries quickly and then I have my underpainting complete. The fun part is laying it thick with the knife, in bright blues and greens and rich frosting-like white highlights.

INSPIRATION:
I always loved watching fly fishing. I'm not so good at it myself, but I used to sit and sketch while my uncle fished in the the summers of my youth. Seems like a really long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...