Sunday, August 2, 2009

New Orleans Night


Title: New Orleans Bourbon St. Night
Size: 20 x 24
Medium: Oil on gallery wrapped canvas
To purchase: Contact me directly or check out my auction, this one goes on tonight.
PAINTING:
This original oil is large and bright with thick oil paint, richly layered and dragged with a palette knife. I used only a knife on this whimsical painting; no brush was used. I start with each color placed where it is needed on the canvas and then drag and blend darks thinner, lights last and thicker. Details are added at the end when scene is almost complete. I love the fauvism quality to this kind of painting. It's very loose and lots of fun. I just can't paint New Orleans any other way!
INSPIRATION:
Using photos from past trips to New Orleans, it is always amazing to me how drab and dreary the photos look compared to the bright colored renderings that come from looking at these inspirational photos. I hope we get to take another trip South soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...